Shimano has announced a new component groupset specifically designed for gravel and adventure riding called “GRX”. I don’t want to sound overly dramatic, but this is a significant moment in bicycling history. It’s about as big as when Shimano introduced the first mountain bike group back in the ’80’s. Before digging in a little deeper, some of the standout features to unpack here are improved braking (over its road hydros), raised pivots in the brake levers for added control, bikepacking-friendly wider-range 2x crankset gear ratio (48-31T), and a 5mm wider chainline on all of the cranksets for added tire clearance.
Shimano GRX 11-Speed Groupset
Shimano GRX was designed from the ground up to be specially tuned for gravel riding and the terrain, riding positions and bike designs that come with it. To accomplish this, Shimano blended technologies from both its road and mountain bike lines to bring the best of both worlds to the groupset. There is some interplay; Shimano GRX runs cassettes and chains that already exist within Shimano’s lineup. And there is some range within the group; beyond the top-range Shimano GRX 800 series, there are also lower cost components like a 600-series crank and shifter setup, both of which blend with 800 series parts. Let’s break it down:
Shimano GRX Brake/Shift Levers
Shimano GRX has two new gravel-specific ergonomic hydraulic disc brake lever designs targeted toward giving riders a variety of handlebar positions. New GRX Dual Control levers feature a unique ST design for better braking from the hoods thanks to the lever axis being raised by 18mm. A new curved brake lever design also helps improve brake feel and power. Too ensure grip in rough conditions the levers have a anti-slip texture applied to them.
There’s also a new hydraulic sub-brake lever offered for the top of the handlebars. The lever allows for more braking options for cyclocross and riders with flared handlebars.
For riders with dropper posts, Shimano create the GRX mechanical ST-RX810-LA; a left hydraulic disc brake lever that, when combined with a 1×11 drivetrain, allows riders to control a dropper post without cluttering their cockpit. The line also includes GRX-600 and 800-series left side hydraulic disc brake levers with no dropper or shift internals for use with 1Ã—11 drivetrains.
Shimano GRX Cranksets
RX810 series cranks offer Shimano’s widest-ever delta between small and large chainrings, a 17-tooth gap. Thanks to that wide gap, Shimano is also debuting its first ever 48-31T crankset. When paired with the available 11-34 cassette, the combination provides incredibly low gearing for steep ascents while maintaining a 48-11 ratio for sprints, descents and glorious tailwinds. RX810 series cranks are of course also offered in a single chainring option for 1×11 setups with one of Shimano’s wide ratio 11-40 or 11-42T cassettes.
Shimano GRX’s more affordable RX600 cranks utilize a 2-piece design and are available in 2Ã—11 and 1Ã—11 configurations. All of the new GRX cranksets use a +2.5mm chainline for increased tire and frame clearance.
Shimano GRX Derailleurs
Starting at the front, Shimano GRX front derailleurs offer more tire and frame clearance thanks to a new outboard +2.5mm chainline design. Because of the outboard chainline, GRX front derailleurs are only compatible with GRX cranksets. RX800 series front derailleurs are promise outstanding shifting performance despite increasing front gearing range to a 17T delta. 800-series derailleurs are available in mechanical and Di2 versions.
Shimano’s GRX rear derailleurs, unsurprisingly, come with proven SHADOW RD+ technology baked in. The system, which ensures perfect shifting regardless of terrain, has been borrowed from Shimano’s MTB lineup and tuned specifically for gravel. Riders can adjust the chain stabilizer to match the terrain: engage for a quiet ride with uninterrupted shifting off-road, or disengage for tarmac. Shimano GRX rear derailleurs are available in short (30T or 34T low) or long cage (40-42T low) options. The derailleurs are designed for use with either road or mountain bike cassettes depending on the required range. RX800 rear derailleurs are available in both mechanical or Di2 configurations.
Shimano GRX Hydraulic Disc Brake Calipers
Shimano GRX hydraulic disc brake calipers are flat mount and offered in premium 810 series and 400 series flavors. The calipers promise to deliver powerful braking with ICE TECHNOLOGIES heat-dissipating disc brake pads and simple set up thanks to Shimano’s one-way bleeding technology.
Shimano GRX Series Wheelsets
Shimano’s new GRX-series wheels are offered in both 700c and 650b sizes with 12mm E-THRU axle designs and wider 21.6mm internal width rims which will accommodate wider tubeless tires. At $420 for a set, the wheelset is pretty affordable too.
Shimano GRX Pricing
Shimano GRX Shift/Brake Lever Pricing
- RX600 SHIFTER/BRAKE SET RX600(L) / BR-RX400(F) $301.99
- RX600 SHIFTER/BRAKE SET RX600(RIGHT) / R-RX400(REAR) $301.99
- RX400 SHIFTER/BRAKE SET RX400(L) / BR-RX400(F) $269.99
- RX400 SHIFTER/BRAKE SET RX400(RIGHT) / BR-RX400(R) $269.99
- RX810 SHIFTER/BRAKE SET RX810(L) / BR-RX810(F) $391.99
- RX810 SHIFTER/BRAKE SET RX810(RIGHT) / BR-RX810(REAR) $391.99
- RX815 DI2 SHIFTER/BRAKE SET RX815(L) / BR-RX810(F) $390.99
- RX815 DI2 SHIFTER/BRAKE SET RX815(RIGHT) / BR-RX810(REAR) $390.99
- RX810 HYDRAULIC DISC BRAKE + DROPPER LEVER SET WITH ST-RX810(LA)/BR-RX810 (F) $364.99
- RX810 HYDRAULIC DISC BRAKE ASSEMBLED SET WITH BL-RX810(L) + BR-RX810(F) $337.99
- RX600 LEFT HYDRAULIC DISC BRAKE LEVER $184.99
- RX800 LEFT HYDRAULIC DISC BRAKE LEVER $214.99
- RX812 LEFT HYDRAULIC DISC BRAKE SUB LEVER $65.99
- RX812 RIGHT HYDRAULIC DISC BRAKE SUB LEVER $65.99
- RX400 2Ã—10-SPEED LEFT SHIFT/BRAKE LEVER $164.99
- RX400 2Ã—10-SPEED RIGHT SHIFT/BRAKE LEVER $164.99
- RX600 2Ã—11-SPEED LEFT SHIFT/BRAKE LEVER $204.99
- RX600 11-SPEED LEFT SHIFT/BRAKE LEVER $204.99
- RX810 2Ã—11-SPEED MECHANICAL LEFT SHIFT/BRAKE LEVER $269.99
- RX815 11-SPEED MECHANICAL RIGHT SHIFT/BRAKE LEVER $269.99
- RX810 2Ã—11-SPEED DI2 LEFT SHIFT/BRAKE LEVER $269.99
- RX815 11-SPEED DI2 RIGHT SHIFT/BRAKE LEVER $269.99
- SHIMANO GRX SEATPOST DROPPER LEFT MECHANICAL LEVER $244.99
Shimano GRX Crankset Pricing
- RX600 2Ã—10-SPEED CRANK WITH CHAINRINGS $129.99
- RX600 1Ã—11-SPEED CRANK WITH CHAINRING $146.99
- RX600 2Ã—11-SPEED CRANK WITH CHAINRINGS $146.99
- RX810 1Ã—11-SPEED CRANK WITH CHAINRINGS $224.99
- RX810 2Ã—11-SPEED CRANK WITH CHAINRINGS $224.99
Shimano GRX Front Derailleur Pricing
- RX400 2Ã—10-SPEED FRONT DERAILLEUR $36.99
- RX810 2Ã—11-SPEED MECHANICAL FRONT DERAILLEUR $51.99
- RX815 2Ã—11-SPEED DI2 FRONT DERAILLEUR $226.99
Shimano GRX Rear Derailleur Pricing
- RX400 2Ã—10-SPEED REAR DERAILLEUR $62.99
- RX810 2Ã—11-SPEED MECHANICAL REAR DERAILLEUR $111.99
- RX812 1Ã—11-SPEED MECHANICAL REAR DERAILLEUR $113.99
- RX815 2Ã—11-SPEED DI2 REAR DERAILLEUR $286.99
- RX817 1Ã—11-SPEED DI2 REAR DERAILLEUR $319.99
Shimano GRX Hydraulic Disc Brake Caliper Pricing
- RX400 FRONT FLAT MOUNT HYDRAULIC DISC BRAKE CALIPER $60.99
- RX400 REAR FLAT MOUNT HYDRAULIC DISC BRAKE CALIPER $54.99
- RX810 FRONT FLAT MOUNT HYDRAULIC DISC BRAKE CALIPER $81.99
- RX810 REAR FLAT MOUNT HYDRAULIC DISC BRAKE CALIPER $75.99
Shimano GRX-Series Wheelset Pricing
- RX570 650B TUBELESS DISC BRAKE FRONT WHEEL $197.99
- RX570 700C TUBELESS DISC BRAKE FRONT WHEEL $197.99
- RX570 650B TUBELESS DISC BRAKE WHEELSET $419.99
- RX570 700C TUBELESS DISC BRAKE WHEELSET $419.99
- RX570 650B TUBELESS DISC BRAKE REAR WHEEL $224.99
- RX570 700C TUBELESS DISC BRAKE REAR WHEEL $224.99