The Bike That Conquered the Tour Divide
Lachlan Morton’s recent Canada to Mexico/Tour Divide FKT* ride was nothing short of legendary. Clocking an impressive 12 days, 12 hours, and 21 minutes from Banff to Antelope Wells, he not only showcased his incredible endurance but also proved a point: panniers can indeed be fast!
“Setting a blistering time… Lachlan proved panniers can be fast.”
His Cannondale Scalpel hardtail was meticulously set up to ensure self-sufficiency, especially during the more isolated stretches where he had to carry up to 30 hours’ worth of sustenance. And boy, did he pack it right!
Morton’s Gear Choices: A Blend of Prototype and Production
Being a part of Tailfin’s R&D Division, Lachlan had the privilege to test out some prototype gear, including a unique frame bag and an AeroPack top bag design. This hands-on experience not only benefited his ride but also provided invaluable feedback for Tailfin’s future products.
“As a member of Tailfin’s R&D Division Lachlan was able to utilise a prototype frame bag and a unique new AeroPack top bag design…”
But let’s not forget the standard gear he opted for: 10L Mini Panniers, a 1.1L Top Tube Pack (crafted in prototype material), and two 3L Downtube Packs, one of which was snugly placed under his aerobars.
The Specs: Morton’s Cannondale Scalpel Setup
- Frame: Cannondale Scalpel Hi-Mod Ultimate hardtail
- Fork: Cannondale Lefty Ocho, 100mm travel
- Drivetrain: SRAM XX1 AXS, with a 38T chainring and a 10-52t cassette
- Brakes: SRAM Level Ultimate
- Wheels: FSA Gradient Off-road i29
- Tyres: Vittoria Mezcal Graphene 2.0 29×2.35” with Airliner Light XC inserts
- Handlebar: FSA KFX Carbon flat bar (64cm) with FSA TT extensions
- Stem: FSA adjustable
- Seatpost: FSA Flowtron XC dropper
- Saddle: Prologo Scratch M5 Space
- GPS: Wahoo Elemnt Bolt
For those interested in the Tailfin gear that powered his journey:
- Under bar: 1.7L Cage Pack + Cargo Straps
- Top tube: 1.1L zipped Top Tube Pack (prototype)
- Frame: Prototype full frame bag
- Downtube: 1.7L Downtube pack
- Rear: Prototype Carbon AeroPack with 2x 10L Mini Panniers
For the gear enthusiasts and budding cyclists out there, you can explore all of Tailfin’s offerings here. Who knows, maybe you’ll find the perfect setup for your next big adventure! 🚴♂️🌄🛣️