Mike DeSalvo is celebrating 25 years of frame building with a beautiful special edition build. The all-road/gravel disc bike is modeled after his old 1968 VW Crew Cab truck, dubbed Curley. More details on the bike and build below.
“At the age of 26, the only item of value that I owned was a 1968 VW crew cab truck. I had been building frames in my spare time for friends while working at UBI as a mechanic instructor. An opportunity popped up to buy a welder, jig, torches, tubes bender, etc., all the equipment a frame builder would need to set up their own shop. There was a problem though, I didn’t have money to buy it. I knew frame building is what I wanted to dedicate my life to, so I sold my one and only possession “Curley” my VW truck to fund the purchase. Sometimes you have to sacrifice everything to do what you love, I’ve been building bikes ever since. I’m dedicating my 20th anniversary to Curley the VW truck that helped get me to where I am with a special anniversary gravel build.” – Mike DeSalvo
Frameset: frame, fork, headset, and stem $2500 or $2600 with Enve carbon stem
Complete bikes: starting at $4500
20th Anniversary Build
- The frame is available in disc road (up to 32c tires), all-road (up to 40c tires) or gravel (up to 45c or 650b 47 tires) flavors.
- Fork – Enve
- Wheelset – Stans Grail (700c or 650b)
- Group – Ultegra Mechanical Hydro
- Headset – King
- Stem – Thomson
- Bar – Thomson Alloy
- Seat Post – Thomson
- Saddle – Fabric
- Chris King package – Bottom Bracket, R45s laced to HED Belgium Plus rims +$750
- Carbon Chris King package – Enve carbon cockpit and R45s laced to Santa Cruz carbon rims +$2250