I’ve previously covered Team Sky’s rice cake recipe, but Dr. Allen Lim (founder of Skratch Labs) has a great rice cake recipe with a little more flavor. In the video above, he walks you through the process, from making rice to wrapping, so you can make your own ride fuel.
Recipe for Allen’s original rice cakes, with bacon and eggs:
- 2 cups uncooked Calrose or other medium-grain “sticky” rice
- 3 cups water
- 8 ounces bacon
- 4 eggs
- 2 tablespoons liquid amino acids or low-sodium soy sauce
- brown sugar
- grated parmesan (optional)
- Combine rice and water in a rice cooked.
- While rice is cooking, chop up bacon before frying, then fry in a medium sauté pan. When crispy, drain off fat and soak up excess fat with paper towels.
- Beat the eggs in a small bowl and then scramble on high heat in the sauté pan. Don’t worry about overcooking the eggs as they’ll break up easily when mixed with the rice.
- In a large bowl or in the rice cooker bowl, combine the cooked rice, bacon, and scrambled eggs. Add liquid amino acids or soy sauce and sugar to taste. After mixing, press into an 8- or 9-inch square baking pan to about 1.5-inch thickness. Top with more brown sugar, salt to taste, and grated parmesan, if desired.
- Cut and wrap individual cakes. Makes about 10 rice cakes.