My first road bike was Performance Bike branded. Aluminum frame, Shimano 105 throughout, it was a great bike from a different era of brick and mortar retail cycling shops. Times have changed.
Bicycle Retailer & Industry News (BRAIN) reports that all 60 of the remaining Performance Bicycle stores will be closed by March 2, following the companies November bankruptcy filing.
Layoffs of 95 employees on Wednesday at Advanced Sports Enterprises’s (ASE) facility in Chapel Hill, North Carolina ended any remaining hopes that Performance stores might survive. The new owners (Amain.com Inc.) of the Performance and Nashbar e-commerce businesses will continue to operate those websites, but brick and mortar shops will soon be gone.
The parent company of Performance Bicycle has entered into Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection, and as a result there have been significant changes to our businesses. Currently, all Performance Bicycle stores are holding Store Closing Sales. Here is what it means for you, our valued customers:
• All Sales are Final. No exchanges, no returns* and no adjustment on prior purchases. (*Refunds may only be for merchandise having a latent defect and returned within 7 days of purchase with receipt).
• We are no longer accepting “Special Orders.”
• We can no longer offer Ship-to-Store, Ship-from-Store, store transfers or Store Pickups of online or phone orders.
• We will no longer price-match competitors, or PerformanceBike.com (sale pricing, coupons and other layered discounts). Online purchases cannot match in-store prices.
• Our Layaway, Trade-In and Hide-a-Bike programs are discontinued. (Existing Hide-a-Bike purchases will remain available for pickup on or before Christmas Eve.)
• Online purchases can no longer be returned to any Performance Bicycle store. Contact our customer service department here to discuss returning your online purchase.
• We will no longer offer financing at any Performance store. Financing remains available for online purchases through PayPal Credit.
• We will no longer offer Lifetime Free Adjustments.
• All manufacturers’ warranties remain in effect for purchases either in-store or online.
• We can no longer offer free, in-store assembly of bikes purchased at PerformanceBike.com or via phone order.
We no longer offer Performance Bicycle led group rides at our retail locations.
For Team Performance members:
• All current members’ accounts, and their points, will expire at the end of their current membership.
• New memberships, membership renewals and auto-renewals are suspended in all stores and online.
• All current Team Performance Members can redeem points online at PerformanceBike.com and over the phone at 1-800-727-2453.
• All current Team Performance Members can earn points on purchases made online at PerformanceBike.com.
• There will no longer be automatic 2nd Business Day shipping on member orders. Upgraded shipping remains available for an extra charge and online orders receive free shipping on orders of $49 or more.
Extended Service Plans (all locations):
• Our Extended Service Plans will no longer be offered at any Performance Bicycle location.
• We no longer sell Spin Doctor Extended Service Plans (ESP’s). We will no longer provide ESP services. All Manufacturer’s Warranties are in effect.
If you have additional questions, please ask one of our store associates or contact our Customer Service Center at 1-800-PBS-BIKE.