Thomas De Gendt (Lotto-Soudal) won stage 8 of the 2019 Tour de France as the last survivor of the day’s breakaway, having held off a late chase by Thibaut Pinot (Groupama-FDJ) and Julian Alaphilippe (Deceuninck-Quick-Step).
“I had a really good feeling all day so I believed in it all day,” De Gendt said.
The duo chasing Gendt finished in six seconds behind him and Alaphilippe’s efforts resulted in him retaking the yellow jersey from Giulio Ciccone (Trek-Segafredo). The reduced peloton containing most of the GC favorites finished 26 seconds down. Geraint Thomas (Ineos) was among them, despite hitting the deck in spectacular form within final 20 kilometers. Vincenzo Nibali (Bahrain-Merida) conceded his Tour today, finishing four minutes down on De Gendt.
With 16 kilometers to the finish, Michael Woods (EF Education First) crashed in front of a group of Ineos riders and Thomas went down. The crash broke Gianna Moscon’s bike in half. Thomas got up very quickly and rejoined the pack after a few minutes.
Moscon’s bike… must have been some impact pic.twitter.com/6bM37nZVMW
— Journal Velo (@JournalVelo) July 13, 2019
💥📷 FOTO DEL DÍA 🇨🇵 #TdF2019
➡️ "IDEAS CLARAS… que equipazos, hay muchos" pic.twitter.com/60Ae587ZV3
— Diego Vos ~ Ciclismo (@diegovos_) July 13, 2019
The 200-kilometer stage from Mâcon featured seven categorized climbs, De Gendt went off the front in an early move with Niki Terpstra (Total Direct Energie) and Ben King (Dimension Data. Alessandro De Marchi (CCC) bridged to them to make it a quartet.
The foursome covered a hundred kilometers together with a gap between three and four minutes. With 65 kilometers to the finish, De Gendt and De Marchi dropped King and Terpstra, continuing as a duo to the final 20 kilometers. De Gendt dropped De Marchi on final climb and went on solo.
With 12 kilometers to go, Alaphilippe and Pinot broke off the reduced peloton in an effort to catch De Gendt. The duo built a small gap and the resulting effort proved too much for Nibali who ended the day 4:25 down.
Ahead, De Gendt held strong. Alaphilippe and Pinot built an advantage over the peloton, but could not catch De Gendt, who took a well earned Tour stage victory.
Summary – Stage 8 – Tour de France 2019
Tour de France 2019: Stage 8 finish
Other Angles of Finish
2019 Tour de France Results
Stage 8 results
- Thomas De Gendt (Bel) Lotto-Soudal, in 5-00-17
- Thibaut Pinot (Fra) Groupama-FDJ, at six seconds
- Julian Alaphilippe (Fra) Deceuninck – Quick-Step, at same time
- Michael Matthews (Aus) Sunweb, at 26s
- Peter Sagan (Svk) Bora-Hansgrohe
- Matteo Trentin (Ita) Mitchelton-Scott
- Xandro Meurisse (Bel) Wanty-Gobert
- Greg Van Avermaet (Bel) CCC
- Egan Bernal (Col) Ineos
- Geraint Thomas (GBr) Ineos, all at same time
General classification after stage 8
- Julian Alaphilippe (Fra) Deceuninck – Quick-Step, in 34-17-59
- Giuliu Ciccone (Ita) Trek-Segafredo, at 23 seconds
- Thibaut Pinot (Fra) Groupama-FDJ, at 53s
- George Bennett (NZl) Jumbo-Visma, at 1-10
- Geraint Thomas (GBr) Ineos, at 1-12
- Egan Bernal (Col) Ineos, at 1-16
- Steven Kruijswijk (Ned) Jumbo-Visma, at 1-27
- Rigoberto Urán (Col)EF Education First, at 1-38
- Jakob Fuglsang (Den) Astana, at 1-42
- Emanuel Buchmann (Ger) Bora-Hansgrohe, at 1-45