I love bacon. I can’t imagine a good Saturday without starting the day with a few fried eggs and several slices of the stuff. But, as any bacon connoisseur knows, like most things in life, all bacon is not created equal.
The best bacon in America goes to Vande Rose Farms Applewood-Smoked Artisan Dry-Cured Bacon.
You can immediately sense all of this attention to detail upon taking a bite of this stuff… Whether you fry it in a skillet or bake it in the oven, one taste will make your eyes reflexively close as you take a deep sigh of amazement and appreciation and think, ‘Now THIS is bacon.’
Honorable mentions for other variations include the following:
- Best Bacon for Crispy-Bacon Lovers: Niman Ranch Uncured, Applewood-Smoked Bacon
- Best All-Purpose, No-Frills Supermarket Bacon: Smithfield Thick Cut Bacon
- Best Bacon for Smoke Lovers: North Country Smokehouse Maple Cured, Center-Cut Bacon
- Best Dinner Bacon: Burger’s Smokehouse Cajun Bacon Steaks
- Best Fruity Bacon: Tender Belly Cherrywood-Smoked, Dry Cured Bacon
- Best Kurobuta Bacon: Snake River Farms
- Best “Wild” Bacon: Buffalo Gal Wild Boar Bacon
- Best Non-Belly Bacon: Uncured Loin Bacon from Mangalitsa by Møsefund
Of course, no best list is list is complete without naming the worst, the best bacon list is no exception. Gold’s worst rated bacon is Aberdeen Farms Irregularly Sliced Value Bacon, which he describes as “stringy, gooey to the touch, and diaphanously thin.” Yum.
Time to do some bacon shopping.