Organizers are calling the 2019 Amgen Tour of California the “most challenging” edition in its history. The routes for the men’s and women’s events were unveiled today and they look daunting. Highlights include a finish on Mt. Baldy.
The seven-day men’s race will start May 12 in Sacramento, finishing May 18 in Pasadena. The women’s race starts May 16 in Ventura and also finishes May 18 in Pasadena.
The men’s race starts with a flat first stage in Sacramento. The climbers will start to see action on the second day. Stage 2 starts in Rancho Cordova and finishes with a tough climb to South Lake Tahoe.
Stage 3 begins in Stockton and finishes in Morgan Hill with a flat finish, most likely a sprinter’s day. The same is true for stage 4, which tracks from Raceway Laguna Seca to Morro Bay, and stage 5, from Pismo Beach to Ventura.
Stage 6, the queen stage, will take place in southern California. The 127-kilometer stage will take the peloton from Ontario to a summit finish on Mount Baldy, with 14,000 feet of elevation gain along the route.
The seventh and final stage starts in Santa Clarita with a sprinter’s finish in Pasadena at the Rose Bowl.
The women’s race will run alongside the men’s event starting the 16th (stage 5 of men’s race). The women’s opening stage will start and finish in Ventura. Then the women will tackle Mt. Baldy in stage 2. Stage 3 will close out the race with a sprinter’s stage in Pasadena.
All told the men’s race will cover 777.6 miles in total, women will cover 176.9 miles of racing. Unfortunately, no time trials this year for either the men’s or women’s event.
2019 Amgen Tour of California
Men’s Tour of California Route
- Sunday, May 12: Stage 1 — Sacramento, 142.9km
- Monday, May 13: Stage 2 — Rancho Cordova to South Lake Tahoe, 193.9km
- Tuesday, May 14: Stage 3 — Stockton to Morgan Hill, 207km
- Wednesday, May 15: Stage 4 — WeatherTech Raceway Laguna Seca to Morro Bay, 221.8km
- Thursday, May 16: Stage 5 — Pismo Beach to Ventura, 217.9km
- Friday, May 17: Stage 6 — Ontario to Mt. Baldy, 127km
- Saturday, May 18: Stage 7 — Santa Clarita to Pasadena, 141km
Women’s Tour of California Route
- Thursday, May 16: Stage 1 — Ventura, 95.9km
- Friday, May 17: Stage 2 — Ontario to Mt. Baldy, 73.9km
- Saturday, May 18: Stage 3 — Santa Clarita to Pasadena, 115km