It's Time to Throw out Your Metal Grill Brush 1

It’s Time to Throw out Your Metal Grill Brush

Have a metal bristle grill brush? Throw it out. The sharp, thin metal bristles of grill brushes can end up in your food and then lodged in your throat where there is “no surefire way of removing them,” say surgeons.

It's Time to Throw out Your Metal Grill Brush 2

That was the case for Lisa Wadden two years ago. The Dartmouth, N.S., woman ate a burger her husband had barbecued and noticed something pierce her throat.

“Every swallow, it just was this crazy pain, burning,” she said.

“It was like I was being poked again with it every single time that I swallowed.”

X-rays showed Wadden had swallowed a thin wire about 1.5 centimetres long, which had become embedded in her throat.

Over four months, she had multiple CT scans, X-rays, scopes and two unsuccessful attempts to remove it through surgery. Dempsey, who was Wadden’s otolaryngologist, told her it was best to wait for scar tissue to build up around the wire and lessen the pain.

So, throw out that brush and go get yourself a grill stone, or one of these, or one of these.



Onsen Bath Towels

The Westworld Season 2 Trailer is Here