Battlefield 3 and Modern Warfare 3 have arrived and having spent time with both I think it’s time to answer the question everyone’s asking. Who’s the big winner?
The answer is not so simple.
Battlefield 3 instantly struck me with the “wow” factor. This game looks sexy. The graphics are absolutely fantastic, I didn’t actually know the Xbox could pull this off. Multiplayer literally feels like being at war. Jets and helicopters are overhead firing at you and buildings are falling apart all around you. That said Battlefield 3 isn’t perfect.
- The graphics look amazing
- Feels realistic or as realistic as a game can be
- Multiplayer isn’t as populated by ass hats and 12 year olds questioning my heterosexuality
- Buildings fall apart
- Vehicles! Planes, helicopters, hummers, boats and more.
- Multiplayer requires more strategy than pure speed and skill
- Requires a code to play multiplayer, tying your game to one Xbox
- No split screen (co-op or multi)
- Multiplayer maps play into the hands of campers/snipers
Modern Warfare 3
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 gets a bad rap but it actually counters a lot of the inadequacies I find with Battlefield 3.
- Storyline is original and is very cinematic (plus Hanz Zimmer does the soundtrack which is epic)
- Multiplayer is tried and tested but packs in some great new features
- Spec Ops allows for a different expereince
- Split screen multiplayer
- Doesn’t offer much of an upgrade over Black Ops (graphics are about the same)
- Multiplayer community is obnoxious
So who’s the winner? Well, neither. Really. It really depends on what you want.
Want an easy to pick up, familiar, multiplayer game? Pick up Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3.
Want insane graphics, enjoy hardcore strategery, like to use varying vehicles and don’t mind spending the time necessary to get acquainted with it all? Pick up Battlefield 3.
Which did you pick?