Rick and Morty most honest and entertaining show on television is finally back. Thanks to the teaser premiere that aired back in April, the enthusiasm surrounding “Szechuan Sauce” is also once again peaking. For those unfamiliar, “Szechuan Sauce” was a limited edition nugget sauce that was released to help promote the 1998 Disney film Mulan. Here’s a quick video rundown:
We learn that mad scientist Rick Sanchez will not rest until he gets the sauce—he calls it his “one-armed man.” According to McDonald’s Twitter account, the last three gallons of the stuff have been given away.
— McDonald’s (@McDonalds) July 31, 2017
But all is not lost. Reddit user Xeropoint developed a copycat recipe with his father. Here’s the full recipe in all of its glory:
- Mince 6 cloves of Garlic and sweat (heat them up in a skillet)
- add 4 tablespoons Balsamic Vinegar
- add soy sauce to taste (DO NOT USE LOW SODIUM SAUCE)
- add 2 tablespoon Plum Sake (Drink additional 3 oz Plum Sake)
- Reduce sauce slightly (Drink additional 1.5 oz Plum Sake)
- 3 1/2 tablespoons cock sauce (Sriracha)
- add 2 tablespoon brown sugar
- Red pepper flakes to taste
- Minced Ginger to taste
- Consume remaining Plum Sake
Simmer that shit for a solid 5 minutes, stirring pretty much constantly. The brown sugar helps it keep the proper consistency, so it’s important to use. Play around with the recipe to your taste. Might want more or less balsamic vinegar. Might want more or more Plum Sake. I’d definitely recommend you make it several times to figure out your own flavor.
So that’s how you make a Szechuan Sauce. I’m not a McDonald’s eater myself but I hear this sauce is also pretty damn good on chicken not in the form of a nugget. There might be some Szechuan Sauce chicken thighs in my future.