Lifelong learning is a thing I hold dear. The world is always changing and I have chosen to keep up with it. One great way is by listening to educational podcasts.
In my profession, I have no other choice than to educate myself on the latest medications and treatment interventions. I read journal articles and industry publications daily to stay competitive.
What separates a life long learner, though, is what they do outside of the 9 to 5. Expanding your worldview beyond incremental learnings at the borders of what you already know challenges the brain and aids everything you do.
What if you don’t have time to sit down and sift through scientific journals, or philosophy, or economic ramblings.
Thankfully, we live in the age of the podcast.
Podcasts are a great way to get information when you’re driving in your car, making dinner at home, or working out in the gym. Podcasts don’t force you to find more time in your day; they give you the opportunity to capitalize on all the dead time that already exists in your day.
Educational podcasts are the perfect form of passive learning. You can listen for ideas and inspiration, rather than seek the solution to a particular problem. In this sense, you don’t direct your learning which forces you to expand your worldview.
I listen to a lot of podcasts; I have a long commute and spend a lot of time in the gym or on my bike. I compiled a list of my favorite educational podcasts below.
The 26 Best Educational Podcasts To Listen To For Lifelong Learning
- Awesome Office – Will help you become a better leader and create a healthy company culture
- Business of Software – Great for tech sector or tech savvy folks, all about running a great business
- Eat Sleep Work Repeat – A lively podcast about happiness and work culture.
- Cortex – CGP Grey and Myke Hurley discuss their tools and habits for productivity and creativity
- Hello Internet – CGP Grey & Brady Haran talking about YouTube, life, work and whatever.
- Reply All – A show about the crazy things that happen on the internet and in technology.
Money, personal finance, investing
- BBC Money Box – The latest news from the world of personal finance.
- FT Money Show – Insightful coverage of the week’s major personal finance issues.
- Meaningful Money – Learnings to help you secure your financial future.
- Motley Fool Money – Motley Fool analysts discuss the week’s top business and investing stories.
- Rule Breaker Investing – David shares his insights into today’s most innovative and disruptive companies.
- We Study Billionaires – Focused on discovering the habits of those who ‘made it’”
- Guardian’s Science Weekly – Latest The Guardian’s Science Weekly news, comment and analysis from the Guardian.
- Infinite Monkey Cage – A witty, irreverent look at the world around us through two scientists’ eyes. Goofy but very educational.
- Star Talk Radio – Science, pop culture & comedy collide on StarTalk w/ astrophysicist Neil deGrasse Tyson
- The Skeptics’ Guide to the Universe – A weekly science podcast discussing news in the world of science and pseudoscience.
Interest & inspiration
- Freakonomics – Life, political and economic problems viewed through data.
- In Our Time – A weekly lecture on things people in the modern world should know about.
- TED Radio Hour – Ted talks but for on the radio.
- The Tim Ferriss Show – Interviews with successful people, with the aim of unlocking their routines and methods.
- This American Life – About life in the USA, what goes well and not so well.
- The Minimalists – Joshua Fields Millburn & Ryan Nicodemus discuss living a meaningful life with less.
- Headspace – The Headspace meditation podcasts
- 99percentinvisible – About all the thought that goes into the things we don’t think about. If you’re into design or architecture this one is great.
- Hidden Brain – The Hidden Brain helps curious people understand the world – and themselves. If you know what makes you tick, you’ll be smarter. If you know what makes other tick, you’ll be more influential.
- Stuff to Blow Your Mind – Join Robert, Joe, and Christian as they examine neurological quandaries, cosmic mysteries, evolutionary marvels and our transhuman future.
That’s my list of educational podcasts for learning and expanding your mind. If I’m missing out on something amazing, let me know in the comments below!